BORDENTOWN, N.J. (June 6, 2017) – Twelve EDP teams have qualified to the 2017 NPL Finals after winning league championships at this past weekend’s EDP NPL Playoffs at Friendship Fields in Bordentown, N.J.
The postseason event featured semifinal matches on Saturday and championship games on Sunday. It included 13-U through 19-U boys and girls divisions.
Three clubs won more than one age group: FC Copa Academy (17-U girls and 19-U girls), Manhattan SC (13-U boys, 16-U boys and 17-U boys) and Ironbound SC (14-U boys and 15-U boys).
“The competition at this weekend’s playoffs was just fantastic,” said EDP CEO Alan Shilling in a news release. “Congratulations to the winners; we are extremely proud of the teams that will represent EDP at the NPL Finals and are confident they will do so with the utmost professionalism and dignity.”
During the 2016 NPL Finals, five teams from the EDP advanced to championship games, and three of them won national titles. Two of those defending national champions are now heading back to the NPL Finals via the EDP NPL Playoffs: New York SC ’98 and Manhattan SC Villa.
Below are the complete results from the 2017 EDP NPL Playoffs:
- 19-U girls: FC Copa Academy 98/99 Black defeated Alleycats ’98
- 17-U girls: FC Copa Academy ‘00 Black 2, SJEB Rush Girls Academy 1
- 16-U girls: NJ Wildcats Fury-NPL 1, FC Copa Academy ‘01 Black 0
- 15-U girls: Alleycats ‘02 NPL 3, FC Copa Academy ‘02 Black 1
- 14-U girls: Cedar Stars Academy-Monmouth 4, FC Copa Academy ‘03 Black 0
- 13-U girls: SJEB ‘04 Villareal 2, Alleycats ‘04 NPL 1
- 19-U boys: New York SC ‘98 3, Manhattan SC Gunners 2
- 17-U boys: Manhattan SC Villa 2, SJEB ‘00 Rush Boys Academy 1
- 16-U boys: Manhattan SC Emelec 4, World Class FC ‘01 NPL 1
- 15-U boys: Ironbound SC ‘02 Red Fever 2, FSA FC Boys Elite ‘02 1
- 14-U boys: Ironbound SC ‘03 Red-Internationals 2, SJEB ‘03 Dortmund 0
- 13-U boys: Manhattan SC Thunder 2, FSA FC Boys Elite ‘04 2
EDP is one of 16 qualifying NPLs to the new Elite National Premier League (ENPL) competition.
The 2017 NPL Finals, featuring 13-U through 19-U boys and girls teams, will be held July 13-17 at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind. It is the culminating event of year-long, league-based competition among 22 NPLs throughout the country.
ABOUT US CLUB SOCCER:
A National Association member of the U.S. Soccer Federation, US Club Soccer fosters the growth and development of soccer clubs in order to create the best possible development environment for players of all ages.
Anchored by Players First and its five pillars of Club Development, Coaching Development, Player Development, Parent Engagement & Education and Player Health & Safety, US Club Soccer offers registration, league- and cup-based competition platforms, player identification and a variety of other programming, resources and services.
US Club Soccer is sponsored by Nike and supported by LaLiga through a technical partnership.